Schnitzer Steel is an exciting place to be as a global leader in the thriving metals recycling industry. We are looking for self-motivated individuals to join our team. Our fast-paced environment features challenging and rewarding work, strong teamwork, and a commitment to providing quality products and excellent customer service. At the same time, as a growing Fortune 1000 company that has been in business for over a century, we can offer a culture that rewards performance and a strong, corporate structure with job stability. In fact, Schnitzer Steel has experienced employees who have been with us for over 30 years working side-by-side with recent hires who constantly bring new ideas and energy into the company.
The Tractor Trailer Driver reports to the Facilities & Operations Supervisor, Dispatcher or the Terminal Operations Supervisor. The Tractor Trailer Driver is responsible for driving a tractor trailer combination or truck with a capacity of at least 26,000 GVW to transport and deliver equipment and material to supplier, customer, storage, or processing locations while ensuring that all of his/her efforts are compliant with the company Health, Safety, and Environmental standards and all applicable DOT regulations. Duties may include the operation of one or several types of loading and unloading equipment including but not limited to pallet jacks, hand trucks, hand lifts, hydraulic lifts, or wheel loaders. The Tractor Trailer Driver should possess knowledge of automatic routing equipment, wet systems, relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and regulations associated with running, maneuvering, navigating, or driving vehicles. This position operates under flexible parameters. The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the position. Providing the highest quality product safely, effectively and efficiently decreases accidents and errors and increase profits.
Environmental and Health & Safety (H&S)
- Strictly adheres to all Metals Recycling Business Health, Safety, and Environmental standards.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and visitors.
Operational Performance & Best Business Practices
- Move freight and materials to and from production areas, loading docks, delivery vehicles, ships, and containers by hand or using trucks, tractors, and other equipment.
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew, checking that vehicle and loading equipment are properly positioned.
- Secure material for transport using ropes, blocks, chains, or covers.
- Receive instructions from dispatch and proceed to location for delivery or receipt of material.
- Perform pre-trip and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Maintain all logs of working hours, vehicle service, and repair status, adhering to state and federal regulations.
- Obtain receipts or signatures for delivered materials, and check all documentation to ensure it is complete and accurate.
- Provide backup or assistance throughout the yard as needed or assigned.
Equipment & Maintenance
- Carry needed tools and supplies from storage or trucks, and return them after use.
- Report all vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damages to the appropriate supervisor.
- High School diploma, GED Certification, or experience in a similar role preferred.
- 3-5 years of driving experience and a valid CDL Class A license required.
- Long-haul/over-the-road experience desired, but not required.