The Whole Cart is redefining corporate catering through the innovative use of mobile food experience. We don't shy away from flavor and we're proud to feature responsibly sourced, high quality ingredients with deep connections to the local Bay Area food scene. Above all, we believe happy, empowered employees make more delicious food.
The Shift Supervisor will be responsible for all aspects of daily truck food service operations. Responsibilities include production planning, quality and safety controls, day-to-day operations (loading and unloading of truck), and execution of service, enforce company policies, procedures, administering breaks and overall personnel supervision.
These operations will likely occur over a broad geographic area, and as a result will require some travel between locations and communication with onsite staff to ensure tasks are being performed adequately.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: The following reflects essential functions for this position. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Coordinates, directs and participates in the preparation of food. Works to ensure consistency in quality, portions and presentation, in a timely manner.
- Leads by example in working with staff to accommodate changes, shifting priorities with seamless coordination and professionalism.
- Maintains sanitation and safety standards at all times in work areas and during food handling, production, and storage (including food labeling) in accordance to applicable sanitation and safety regulations; ensures culinary/kitchen staff always follow these procedures.
- Accurate loading of truck’s supplies, ingredients and equipment to ensure smooth and seamless service.
- Enforcing operational standards, procedures and protocols to ensure consistency and quality of service and delivered product.
- Comprehensive unloading and breakdown of truck upon returning to Truck Commissary, including daily cleaning of exterior and interior of truck and all kitchen equipment.
- Ensure cleanliness of facilities, food staging areas and mobile kitchen according to company and health department guidelines.
- Safe and responsible driving of company and/or client vehicles, and responsible for all vehicle assets, including prompt communication of any mechanical or maintenance issues to the AGM.
- Passionately and continually seeks ways to improve the Truck’s product, service and overall operations.
- Makes every effort possible to provide special guest/corporate clients with requests; encourages back and front staff to maintain the guest-centric attitude.
- Assist in training of new truck cook staff
- Act as leader of service.
- Ensures that kitchen staff/truck staff maintains consistently high standards in preparation and presentation.
- Ensures that uniforms and personal appearances are clean and professional.
- Encourages a guest-centric attitude and leads by example.
- Administers breaks within state and labor guidelines.
- Supervision of staff by enforcing policies and procedures and making recommendation for disciplinary actions, as appropriate.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years as a Shift Supervisor in a full-service restaurant, catering, food truck or similar.
- Experience in successfully managing, motivating and developing a culinary / kitchen team.
- Experience in developing innovative, creative dishes / menus using local, organic, fresh ingredients.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a California Food Handler’s Card before starting employment. Servesafe certification preferred.
- Must possess a current California Drivers License and clean driving record.
Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of all cooking techniques.
- Strong working knowledge of professional cooking terminology, techniques and meal preparation procedures (e.g.: portion control, menu development, scheduling, budgets).
- Knowledge of special diets, especially vegetarian and vegan.
- Knowledge of commercial kitchen operations, equipment use and work flow.
- Knowledge and ability to train and enforce food sanitation and safety requirements and policies.
- Keen ability to work quickly/efficiently, coordinating and leading all cooking and preparation efforts to produce exemplary products in a timely manner.
- Ability to anticipate and solve practical problems, and deal with a variety of challenging variables in a fast pace environment with focus, leadership and a calm demeanor.
- Ability to lead, manage and develop a cohesive, top-performing and engaged team.
- Possesses good judgment and attitude, with an excellent work ethic.
- Ability to act with patience, tact and courtesy in dealing with staff, management, vendors, and guests at all times.
- Able to work long hours, as needed
Language and Communication
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills applicable for teaching, coaching, encouraging, negotiating, clarifying and collaborating.
- Speaks, reads, writes, and understands English, the primary language used in the workplace; ability to speak Spanish, a plus.
- Has excellent verbal communication skills and can succinctly and effectively communicate to all levels in the internal organization and the general public.
- Able to present / represent oneself and the business to guests, the community and the media in an engaging and professional manner.
Computer, Technical / Mathematical
- Possesses intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and restaurant POS systems; Micros or Aloha experience preferred.
- Has a strong command of math to calculate / estimate inventory, purchasing, recipe ingredient adjustments, staffing hours, etc.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to:
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Talk or hear during face-to-face communications in a noisy commercial kitchen work area.
- Utilize specific vision abilities for viewing work related processes and materials handling.
- Stand for prolonged periods using hot stove/oven, cooking utensils including sharp knives and industrial kitchen equipment.
- Stand, serve or work in a mobile food truck environment.