About Sid Wainer & Son
Sid Wainer & Son, based in New Bedford, MA, has been the most prominent importer and distributor of specialty produce in the country since 1914. In addition to produce, Sid Wainer & Son offers cheese and specialty foods, including their exclusive Jansal Valley® line. Sid Wainer & Son supplies over 25,000 of the finest restaurants, hotels, gourmet shops, retailers, and caterers both domestically and internationally.
The Driver Apprentice program is focused on educating and developing the necessary driving skills to become proficient in the operation of a delivery truck. This position is focused on learning, gaining required experience and applying the gained knowledge associated with all aspects of Sid Wainer & Son trucking department. The Driver Apprentice must provide exceptional customer service and also assists driver in maintaining the conditions of the truck and all cargo.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help deliver products to customer locations within delivery window time frames.
- Have excellent customer service skills; handle customer concerns in a positive and professional manner.
- Do physical work and lift up to 50+ lbs.
- A valid US driver's license for at least the past year. Your driver's license must be from the state that you declare to be your point of permanent domicile. To join the program, you must have a valid driver's license and meet the Homeland Security / Transportation Administration requirements.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Able to obtain a DOT Medical Card.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Proof of U.S. residency or Green Card.
- A stable work history and good references.
- Previous employers and references will be checked and must be verifiable.
- No reckless convictions in the last three years.
- No failed or refused drug or alcohol test in the last four years (this includes DWI's, DUI's and BAC's).
- No license suspension for points in the last three years.
- Must have no more than three moving violations and / or accidents during the last three years.
In addition, the Driver Apprentice must:
- Have a passion for driving and want to become a Driver.
- Must be flexible to work days, nights and weekends.
- Have a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Be conscientious of offering quality service to our valued customers.
- Be self-motivated and able to work well independently and within a team.
- Take pride in working safely and representing Sid Wainer & Son as a professional Driver Apprentice.
<span "text-decoration:="" underline;"="">Education
- High school diploma or G.E.D. required
- Time Management.
- Customer/Client Focus.
- Ability to take instruction.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 125 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Ability to read, write and speak fluently in English as required by the DOT.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
The employee must be able to work 40 hours per week, including weekends and holidays.
Frequent travel is expected for this position.
- Health Insurance
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Care
- Paid Vacations
- Paid Holidays
- 401K Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance (Company paid)
- Short/Long Term Disability Insurance (Company paid)
- Employee Discounts
- Alcohol & Drug Free workplace